Sunday 9 December 2012

Upside down Almond caramel layered coffee cake


Finally the final verdict in my eighth month-I don't have gestational diabetes and I can eat whatever I like.Yes, whatever my heart and baby fancies inside:) I am sooo delighted!!!
This welcome news arrived after a final cumbersome 100 gm glucose challenge test, yesterday.
My little one inside and me decided to indulge in something sinful but healthy and we go for an upside down almond and caramel layered cake.

This turned out to be a pretty looking cake and very yum too. Plus we were able to make use of all the almonds we received during Diwali:)

Ingredients
 For the caramel layer

Ghee-4tsp
Brown sugar-1/2 cup
Honey-1/4 cup
Almonds slivered-1 cup

For the coffee cake
 AP Flour-1 and 2/3 cup
Baking powder- 1 tsp
Baking soda-1 tsp
Salt-1/2 tsp
Eggs-2
Oil-1 cup
Sugar-1 cup
Instant coffee granules-3 tsp
Boiling water-2 tsp

Melt the ghee and pour it in the baking mould and swirl to coat the base completely
Sprinkle brown sugar all over the base
Drizzle honey over it.Sprinkle the almond flakes to cover the entire base.
I blanched the almonds in hot water, skinned, sliced and toasted it for a better look and flavour.
This is completely optional.




Add the coffee granules to boiling water and mix.
In a big bowl, mix the Oil, sugar and eggs vigorously.
Sift in first four ingredients from the cake list together and combine.
Add the coffee liquid and mix gently.
Pour this batter over the caramel base prepared earlier.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180 centigrade for 45 minutes or till a skewer comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and take out the cake upside down from the cake mould while the cake is warm.
Enjoy!


2 comments: