Monday 1 October 2012

Masala Oats bread


Last week was a week of indulgence..with cakes and cookies. In my heart I am scared if I pushed my sugar limits too high,so here I begin a week of austerity with a fat less,egg less, oatmeal bread..surprisingly it is yum in spite of how lacklustre it sounds and I can survive on this without complaining.




Although its a quick bread,does not requiring the tiring labour with yeast, it still needs to be done a little bit in advance. Also a word of warning,this bread does not bake tall. It is a heavy bread in texture and not a light springy bread that we pick up from the market. It best goes with a bit of butter or cheese spread,but thanks to my austerity drive, I had it with a cup of coffee for breakfast and it tasted wonderful.
Apart from the health factor, I love this bread for its versatility.One can make so many variations of this.I chose cumin and kasoori methi flvaour but one can go for curryleaf, dillweed, coriander..sky is the limit.

Ingredients

Oatmeal-225gm
Buttermilk-360ml
Baking powder-2 tsp
Plain flour-100 gm
Salt-1/2 tsp

Buttermilk tempering-Below is what I chose for my bread but you can change and choose from other spices depending on your taste.Also you can totally omit the tempering and make a plain bread if you desire.

Oil-1tsp
fenugreek seeds-1/4tsp
Cumin-1tsp
Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Kasoori methi-2 tsp

Heat oil in a small skillet and add cumin and fenugreek seeds.Switch off the gas as they splutter.Add red chilli powder.Pour this tempering on the buttermilk and add kasoori methi. Mix.
Soak the oatmeal in this buttermilk overnight.

Next, put together salt, baking powder and flour and gradually start adding it to the soaked oatmeal.
 

Once done mixing,you will get a sticky dough. Place it in a greased tin and bake it for 40 min in a preheated oven at 180 centigrade.Optionally you can also brush the dough with melted butter before baking for a smooth brown top.I did not do that:) Instead I added flaxseed to my batter to boost up the health quotient.


2 comments:

  1. I think this should be a real healthy bread-specially for my diabetic wife. I am gonna try and let you know.

    ReplyDelete