Tuesday 6 November 2012

Instant Chocolate cake



As I write this new post about the Instant Chocolate Cake..lot of good labels light up in my head-best out of waste, the jiffy cake, serendipity, the rescue cake..Gosh what not.
The fact is that it is an all that cake.Here below I explain.

This weekend, I had unannounced guests on my door screaming for cake.Normally am elated at such demands assuming this as a sign of people's faith in my fast developing baking skills but it was different this time. I knew I was short on sugar and had run out of baking powder. It was almost impossible to live up to the expectation. To make it worse, I discovered that the hide n seek biscuits which I was about to serve with tea, had become limp..thanks to the incessant rains which I have been raving about in my previous blogs...
And then somewhere deep in my mind a bulb of hope lit up.
Many years ago,when I must have been in my early teens, I recalled an auntie from the neighbourhood mentioning about making a cake with Eno, the digestive fruit salt and making use of limp biscuits.
But this moment,it was just this idea..I was clueless about quantity ,baking time and temperature and other details. I decided to get my hands dirty and leave the rest to God.
Sure enough,when you believe in miracles ,they do happen.
I landed up with a most beautiful yummy cake which vanished moments after serving(I could barely snatch a moment to click the snaps).

What I love about this cake is
1.Minimal ingredients-just three items
2. Minimal effort
2.Very versatile..you can make it in  innumerable flavours. (Whatever flavours of biscuits or cookies you have in hand)
3. Again you can add ingredients of your choice,any nuts ,berries available with you and serve it any way you like it..with frosting, ice cream, cream, plain. I was experimenting ,hence did not try too many additives and made it plain. I served it with chocolate sauce and it was pretty good that way.
4. Above all..it is eggless:)

The quantities  I give here are  in rough measures and not absolute in nature.You may like to change the quantities as per your taste.

Ingredients-

Biscuits-grind them fine and the resulting powder should roughly measure up to two and a half cup
Milk-1/4 cup
Eno salt-3/4 tsp (Plz use the plain eno and not flavoured one)

Preheat the oven to 180 centigrade and grease a cake mould. The cake will double in height on baking, so ensure that you use a cake mould which leaves more than half of space empty after putting the batter.
Add milk to the ground biscuits and mix well.The batter should be of dropping consistency.
Now add the eno salt and mix lightly.
Please note that you have to bake the cake immediately now and not leave it for later. Otherwise the salt will lose its effect.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean.



 

 

8 comments:

  1. Looks amazing... just like out of very classy pastry shop in Goa.. While I will persuade my wife to try this recipe, look forward to many such mouthwatering but easy recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks!
      Will surely try to put more easy n yummy stuff:-)

      Delete
  2. Hats off to u my dear. This is one cake i thought i had mastered till i read yr blog. Mine has 6 eggs, 300 gms butter, cocoa powder...and look at yours!Congrats Priya am so proud of you babes.I always believe a good cook is one who can create a new recipe and not replicate the existing (which is what most of us do). (shreyaa dasgupta)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u soo much Shreya .Do try this recipe n let me know how it turns out.love

      Delete
  3. I think one of these days I am going to try this cake of yours. Sounds yummy...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Uncle,


      Hope you are doing good.

      Daddy mentioned about you apprecciating my blog the other day and I just wanted to tell you that it meant a lot to me.

      I have been off the blogging circuit because of my two month old baby and encouragement like this motivates me to be back at it again.

      Thank you so much for your kind words..Hope to put some new recipes soon..Regards,Priya

      Delete
  4. OMG..It worked...i did it in a microwave and that too using lemon flavored eno fruit salt but with NICE biscuits..but its a hit..my kids r loving it..tnx.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I use fruitsalt/eno in making all of my cakes. Like a complete replacement for baking soda/powder?

    ReplyDelete